The modern construction industry involves the usage of reliable and high-quality materials. These include steel sheets with special protective coatings. As you may understand, it is referred to the galvanized steel sheet.
What is a galvanized steel sheet?
Galvanized steel is a type of rolled metal products or an ordinary steel sheet coated with a protective layer of zinc against moisture penetration and exposure to air. Such a protective coating can be applied just on one or both sides or of the steel sheet. The thickness of the protective coating may vary depending on the further area of application of the galvanized steel sheet, as well as on the expected humidity degree of the environment.
- Galvanic method – the process of applying zinc on a metal surface using an electrolyte solution.
- Galvanizing using high temperatures – coating a metal (usually iron or steel) with a zinc layer by dipping the product in a bath with molten zinc at a temperature of about 460°C.
- Galvanizing using low temperatures – coating a metal surface with a special composition containing zinc powder.
- Sherardization – a galvanizing method which involves the usage of zinc powder (processing takes place at high temperatures from 300 to 450°C) or zinc vapor (at a temperature of 800-900°C).
- Zinc spraying – the process of pollinating metal with zinc using a special technical gun.
- Gas-dynamic galvanizing – applying zinc coating using supersonic jet stream.
Standards of various countries in the field of technical requirements for galvanized products determine its brand and size assortment. The main classification features for galvanized sheets are:
- area of application (profiling, cold forming, fabrication of metal structures);
- the chemical composition of the coating material (pure zinc, or such alloys as zinc-iron, zinc-aluminum, aluminum-zinc, zinc-magnesium, etc.);
- thickness/weight of the galvanized protective coating.
Due to the breaking strength, ease of installation, durability, and resistance to corrosion and aggressive environments, galvanized steel sheet has become widespread in many industries and manufacturing sectors.
Galvanized steel sheet is often used in roofing, due to its light weight. Moreover, this material serves as the basis for the production of additional elements for roofs and facades, forced ventilation systems, ducts, gutters, downspouts, and is also used for the manufacture of various structural elements and parts used in almost all areas of industrial and civil engineering construction.
Also, the galvanized steel sheet is commonly used in the manufacturing of profiled sheeting, metal tile, or metal siding. In addition, the galvanized steel sheet can be used for the construction of silos, temporary storage facilities, or agricultural silages.
In practice, galvanized steel sheet is used literally everywhere: its elements are present in many structures around us, for example, in ships, airports and railway stations, billboards, cars, stairs, cornices, fences, and other metal structures.
- Galvanized steel has several advantages:
- Long operating period. The minimum period of use is 10 years.
- The uniqueness of metals combination. The zinc coating interacts perfectly with a metal base. During the usage, the material does not crack, exfoliate, rupture, and split off.
- Absolute environmental friendliness. Zinc is a natural material, and therefore, it does not emit harmful toxins. So, it can be actively used in residential premises.
- Wide range of applications.
- Simplicity in installation and the subsequent repair.
- Aesthetic appearance.
- After dismantling, old galvanized sheets can be reused. The correctly dismantled galvanized sheet fully preserves its technical features and initial properties.
- Affordable price. The galvanized sheet is considered a cost-effective building material.
Where to buy galvanized steel sheet
METINVEST offers a galvanized steel sheet 0.4-2.0 mm thick and up to 1250 mm wide for construction activities and engineering manufacture. Galvanized sheets are supplied according to the requirements of the principle global standards (ASTM A653/A653M, EN 10346, GOST R 52246, GOST 14918, etc.). It is possible to buy galvanized sheets through the international marketing network of METINVEST, which includes 38 distribution departments in Asia, Europe, America and Africa, and 16 customer services in Ukraine, as well as from authorized distributors.